The seventh round of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship at Thruxton featured a record-breaking crowd. On the 4th August. 40,712 fans turned up at the Hampshire circuit to witness the thrilling action trackside during the weekend.
Two nail-biting races delivered what Bennetts BSB fans voted on the championship’s social media as the best of the season so far. Andrew Irwin claimed his first Superbike race win to become the sixth different race winner in 2019. Josh Brookes however returned to the top in race two. The second race produced the season’s tenth different rider to feature on the podium, with Smiths Racing BMW’s Peter Hickman finishing third. Team WD-40 as always gave it their all, but sadly didn’t make top 10 this time. Despite this the boys gave a valiant effort and their proud sponsors WD-40 were of course there to cheer them on all the way.
BSB Championship Series Director Stuart Higgs commented:
“Thruxton never fails to deliver some of the most incredible action of the season. This year was no different, and we were delighted that there were so many fans that attended to witness the action first hand at the track. It was fantastic to see another new race winner in Bennetts BSB. And the nature of Thruxton ensured there were up to ten riders in the fight for the victory. It showcased the best that BSB has to offer and the ultimate skills of the riders in the championship.”
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Thruxton, Race 2 result:
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati)
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) +4.276s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths BMW) +4.288s
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +4.534s
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +5.345s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +5.660s
- Xavi Forés (Honda Racing) +5.970s
- Danny Buchan (FS3 Racing Kawasaki) +7.500s
- Luke Mossey (OMG Suzuki) +7.708s
- Dan Linfoot (TAG Racing) +7.883s
Current Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings:
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) 246
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) 226
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) 207
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) 150
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 144
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) 139
The eighth round of the 2019 Bennetts British Superbike Championship takes place at Cadwell Park on August 16/17/18.
For more information visit britishsuperbike.com